Tuesday, April 17, 2007

All Consuming

The parish in which we live is considered "rural," even though our city is not really a tiny one (and is much bigger since the hurricanes). One sign of being "in the sticks" is that you can burn stuff in your yard. Brooke was taking pictures of the fire her grandmother started and my DH was continuing. (Yes, I married into a family of pyromaniacs evidently.) But looking at the pictures reminded me of something else.....


Hebrews 12:28-29 Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our "God is a consuming fire."


....and that reminded me of another verse....


Malachi 3:2 But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner's fire...


....which brought to my mind, the old song from 1990, Refiner's Fire.


Purify my heart
Let me be as gold and precious silver
Purify my heart
Let me be as gold, pure gold


Refiner's fire
My heart's one desire
Is to be holy
Set apart for You, Lord
I choose to be holy
Set apart for You, my Master
Ready to do Your will


Purify my heart
Cleanse me from within
And make me holy
Purify my heart
Cleanse me from my sin
Deep within

2 comments:

Kathy in WA said...

Wow - that is one "hot" fire picture. :) My inlaws are constantly burning shrub and weeds out on their property. Great way to deal with debris and outdoor clutter (not in the dead of summer, of course).

Great verses and beautiful song! We've been going through some debt issues and I try to see how God is refining and purifying me (in this area) and accept it as a chance to grow. Hard to do that when it's hot and hurts!

Unknown said...

Kathy, even when there is a "burn ban" in neighboring parishes, there's never a burn ban here - it's actually illegal for them to institute a burn ban in our parish. I guess Rednecks need to burn trash whenever they get the urge! :^D