Saturday, March 22, 2008

Dinner With My Favorite Aunt


Tonight Aunt Caryl fixed dinner for us. Prawns (or Shrimp) Capellinni. Oh. My. Goodness. We ate until we couldn't move. I BEGGED for the recipe and Aunt Caryl kindly shared with me, so I'll share it with you. I can't wait to make this for Brooke, Steve, and Joshua.

1 cup virgin olive oil
1/4 cup butter (NOT margarine)
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. crushed rosemary
1 tbsp. herbes de Provence
salt and pepper to taste
5 cloves garlic, minced

Heat slowly. Do not burn garlic or you'll have to start over.

Add 1 pound of peeled shrimp or prawns. They'll cook in 3 minutes.

Now add:

3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 pound asparagus, each stalk cut into thirds and lightly steamed
1/2 - 1 cup white wine
1/4 cup lemon juice

The shrimp should be done. Just heat through for the asparagus and tomato.

Serve over hot cappelini pasta with plenty of crusty French bread for dipping. YUM!!!


My brother, Michael, with Aunt Caryl and Morgan



Aunt Caryl's apartment is SO adorable! She loves France and has visited many, many times. She speaks fluent French and has been mistaken for being local while there. She usually rents a car and tootles about the French countryside, seeing wonderful sights off the typical tourist path. She says she is "too old" to go again (silly, I know), and I will try to talk her into one more trip - for I'd love to go with her!
Her apartment is in whites/creams and antique gold. She has all the names of the cities in France where she has visited stenciled in gold on the walls. She takes the most fabulous photographs while in France and has some of them framed on her walls. She had someone paint a mural from one of her paintings and I simply love it!



Aunt Caryl also has an adorable calico cat. She is a "senior citizen" cat (Aunt Caryl's second she has saved from untimely death simply because they were aging) and she is the sweetest thing. Morgan just loved her to pieces.





She has kidney disease and drinks "special water" with her medicine in it. But what a lucky kitty to share her last years with my lovely aunt.


2 comments:

Teeny said...

What a gorgeous way to decorate!!! I've never seen that before - truly artistic and a wonderful way to relive your favorite memories.

Cynthia said...

So, did she KNOW you were going to post the recipe for the entire world wide web to find? (LOL)! Sounds yummy.