Thursday, December 6, 2007

Souper Supper!

Tonight we had French Onion Soup for supper. It was so warm and it quite hit the spot. I also made Emily's Cheese Biscuits (only I used Pioneer Baking Mix instead of Bisquick). These biscuits disappeared! They were delicious!!!


It may seem strange to make biscuits to go with French Onion Soup. Usually you put a baguette in the soup, top with cheese, and broil until the cheese melts. But I have this aversion to soggy bread, so I always order my French Onion Soup "sans bread" in restaurants. Then I hear the, "but the cheese will sink to the bottom." I don't care. I'll spoon it out. No bread. Yuck. If you like soggy bread, then have a ball. I'll take Emily's biscuits on the side. Thank you, very much.









French Onion Soup


6 large red onions, peeled and thinly sliced.
Olive oil
1/4 teaspoon of sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups of beef stock
1/2 cup of dry white wine
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon of dry thyme
Salt and pepper
8 slices of toasted French bread (if you are the "soggy bread in the soup" type)
1 1/2 cups of grated Swiss Gruyere with a little grated Parmesan cheese


In a large saucepan, sauté the onions in the olive oil on medium high heat until well browned, but not burned, about 30 minutes. Add the sugar about 10 minutes into the process to help with the carmelization.

Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the stock, wine, bay leaf, and thyme. Cover partially and simmer until the flavors are well blended, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaf.

To serve you can either use individual oven-proof soup bowls or one large casserole dish. Ladle the soup into the bowls or casserole dish. Cover with the toast and sprinkle with cheese. Put into the broiler for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until the cheese bubbles and is slightly browned. (I skip this part. I just ladle into bowls, sprinkle with cheese, and serve.)

5 comments:

Lisa~ said...

Oh! This sounds so good right now! Its still morning here... but I think Im just hungry! LOL

My grama loved French Onion soup! I think we will have to try this!

Lisa

Junebug said...

I will try the biscuits with Pioneer Baking mix instead of Bisquick. I don't think the Bisquick comes out all that well. Yours looks better.

Cynthia said...

YUM! We always have French Onion soup with Tim's folks on the day before Christmas Eve - so we just had that yesterday. I'm a "texture" person, too, but I LIKE the bread in the soup with the cheese on the top - broiled "just so." So, remember that when I come visiting, ok?

Unknown said...

I will make a note of it, Cynthia! ;^)

Cynthia said...

Ok. THANKS! I appreciate that (LOL).