Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Sausage & Cheese Breakfast Cups

Steve and I are still South Beach'ing it and quick breakfasts are sometimes in order. Most of Phase I breakfasts are omelets with veggies, but sometimes you need something that's more "grab and go." These are perfect and are delicious!

You'll need:

4 ounces turkey sausage (or you can use turkey bacon)
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 onion, chopped
5 large eggs
1 can (12 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 6-cup nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups. (Note: I used paper baking cups and they were hard to peel off. I would either use the foil cups and spray them or just skip the liners altogether.)


In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage until no longer pink.


Add pepper and onion to turkey and cook for about 5 minutes. (I grabbed a red pepper instead of a green one. Sweeter. And I had some fresh mushrooms that needed to be cooked, so I used some fresh and the rest canned. I sauteed the fresh mushrooms with the onion and pepper.) Spoon the turkey/veggie mixture into a bowl and allow to cool slightly.


Stir in beaten eggs and canned mushrooms. It seemed like it needed some seasoning to me, so I added a little salt, cracked black pepper, and a dash of Tabasco sauce. I like Tabasco sauce in my eggs. What can I say? I'm from Louisiana.

Evenly divide the mixture among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with the cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until the egg is set. Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

Kristine said...

Oh, YUM, these look fabulous! So YOU are hosting the SHS party when your new house is ready, right? And cooking for all of us?!

(I'll bring chocolate!)

:)

Unknown said...

But of course! I'd like nothing better than to have 3000 of my closest friends come help me unpack!!! I'd definitely feed ya'll!